Tuesday 12 June 2012

Beautiful Birds’ first industry event

It’s not everyday I get an email "From:Sara Doron" inviting me to Under the Vintage Veil’s 1st birthday party.  But as it happens, the 17th May wasn’t everyday.


I spent a while questioning: Is it too early in my venture for me to be attending something like this? Do I have enough to say to people? Will I stick out like a sore thumb?! Will anyone like me??

Then I had a word with myself.   

So, hotel and train tickets booked and I was out the door on the morning of the 10th June, looking forward to putting names to faces and mixing with the folk that I admire.

Despite the previous words I’d had with myself, I did start the night by bricking myself and being unsure how to approach people.  But I was soon confidently passing from one end of the room to the other saying hellos and exchanging cards as I went. 
Turns out networking = fun.

(The fact I ended up slightly more drunk than I planned, and spent a fair bit of time on the dancefloor, probably has some bearing on my overall experience. If that’s networking then I think I might be an expert!)  

Sara did a fab job of hosting. A perfect catwalk show displaying some gorgeous dresses by Froufrou Bridal Boutique, Charlotte Bridal and Belle & Bunty made me want to go and try more wedding dresses - surely I can renew my vows in one of them right?


There was an amazing cake and candy bar provided by Cake Maison. I had a few too many bonbons - I forgot I would be needing to talk to people!


The host’s mum provided some much needed TLC for aching feet and shoulders and Hairport were Bouffing up the crowd. Everyone looked seriously amazing. If only I had longer hair I would’ve been straight up there to get my doo did.


Loved the photobooth provided by Retro Me. People were in there happy as larry with people they’d only met that night (including me and one of the models. Her name was Abby Munro. Lovely girl - see her site here) - and what a wonderful memory to take away - printed silliness.


I so enjoyed my night. I got to meet a LOT of interesting people and was thrilled when so many people wanted to take my business card and was surprised when so many commented on how much they liked them (it was a very smiley night).


So, my advice would be this. When you’ve made a decision that you want to do something (i.e. in my case; become a fabric florist working mainly in the wedding sector) and you get the opportunity to attend any form of industry event (that will have relevant people to you and like minded people) absolutely GO. You never know what you might miss and what you might gain.


Were you there? I'd love to hear about your experience of the night and about handling industry events in general so feel free to leave a comment.


Love

A relatively new, but very happy to have ticked her first industry event off her list

Becky
x

I tried to grab some photos but my little iphone didn’t seem to like the smoke machine much but here are a few that came out ok.













3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a blast! I guess Sara set the ba quite high for all 'Blog First Birthday' parties to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was totally lovely to meet you! I'm having a look through the rest of your blog to see pics of your lovely creations :) I'm arranging a shoot soon and possibly will want to feature some of your goodies x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to meet you too and yes, give me a shout when you;re ready to shoot :) x

    ReplyDelete